Monday, July 30, 2012

Living, Breathing, Reading Food: My recent good book find


A few weeks ago I went to Barnes and Noble to track down a murder book, specifically, "Shake the Devil Off," about the murder in New Orleans, which I previously wrote about. This is because I might be slightly crazy or sick in the head. Regardless, they didn't have it. So, I went the more normal route and bought "Homemade" by Clodagh McKenna and "Apron Anxiety" by Alyssa Shelasky.

"Homemade" was a book that I actually found in Anthropologie in the Chelsea Market while waiting to go on a job interview at Amy's Bread. I wanted it badly but figured I could find it cheaper elsewhere. It is a book based on entertaining, explaining things such as how to organize your cabinets, how to make fig butter, making energizing smoothies and making the perfect picnic. It is a charming book and I sigh lovingly every time I look at it.

I bought "Apron Anxiety" pretty much out of boredom. The book summary explained it was about a girl who moves in with her chef boyfriend and falls in love with cooking in the process. It did not seem that impressive, but I bought it anyway. Turns out, this girl was dating Spike Mendelsohn from Top Chef. I'm not a dedicated Top Chef fan, but I enjoy it when I watch it. Shelasky never out right says that this is the person who the book is about, calling him Chef throughout the book instead, however a quick google search blows her cover immediately.

Shelasky worked for US Weekly and People magazine and her celebrity stories pulled me in like the little celebrity gossip whore that I am. Before I knew it I was sucked into the book and was shocked when I realized it. She tells a good story of falling in love, figuring out if love is enough, finding herself and realizing how stabilizing food and the act of cooking can be. I think the main reason I like the book so much is that I can relate to the love affair she winds up having in the kitchen with cooking. After a bad day all I want to do is cook or bake. On my days off I spend my time either food shopping or cooking. I sometimes cook things and don't even eat them and then contemplate bringing them to the homeless guy who begs for money on Middle Country underneath the Nichols Road bridge. I think I might. He needs food more than .50 at this point, I think.

I read this book in two days. It is definitely a "chick" book and an easy read, but enjoyable nonetheless. I found myself googling Shelasky and Mendelsohn for a few days after I finished it, trying to soak up any other information I could get about their relationship (again, I am a celebrity gossip whore). The book also provides recipes from different events and points in her life, which is nice. I recommend this read...and now that my murder book has arrived via Amazon.com, I will disappear into that for a few days and will probably need another light-hearted read. Suggestions please!

No comments:

Post a Comment