I love Mexican Food. It is an option that is vegetarian friendly and with about 5 ingredients, you can create 10 different Mexican dishes. In honor of Cinco de Mayo I am going to share my quick and easy, but most importantly delicious, quesadilla recipe.
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 13 minutes
- 2 Whole Wheat Wraps or Tortillas
- 1 Roma Tomato, chopped
- 1 Small Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Hass Avocado, sliced
- 1/4 Can of Organic Black Beans
- Your Favorite Salsa
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Sour Cream, optional
1. Chop tomato, onion and avocado and put aside.
2. Let pan warm on medium heat for two minutes. Spray with olive oil to prevent the quesadilla from sticking or burning.
3. Place wrap in the pan and cover with Mexican cheese to your liking. Place the other wrap on top and press down with a spatula, encouraging the cheese to melt between the wraps.
4. Flip continuously, being careful to not let cheese fall out of the quesadilla, so both sides are equally cooked.
5. Remove from pan and cut into fours.
6. Cover the quesadilla with a coating of salsa. Toss the tomato, onion and avocado and place on top of the quesadilla. Season with salt to taste.
7. Spoon out black beans and spread on quesadilla.
Be cautious when eating this! There are a lot of goodies involved and the wraps can start to get limp and soggy quick, which is why I always eat it with a knife and fork. I put all of the good stuff on top of the quesadilla because a lot of the times it falls out of the middle anyway and I find it more enjoyable this way, but feel free to adapt this process as you like.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! I will be attending a gathering, wearing an itty bitty sombrero and drinking Abita Strawberry Harvest while eating mango and banana guacamole that I plan on making. What are your plans for the day?