Monday, August 20, 2012

The Breakfast Club: Vegan Banana Pancakes



Breakfast. A Neccesity.

I am a breakfast person. No, I am an extreme breakfast person. If I do not eat within the hour after waking up I get cranky. I can, and have, rolled out of bed, put on a pot of coffee and immediately poured myself a bowl of cereal to enjoy. I do not understand people who don't like breakfast. In fact, I don't trust them. I don't trust people who don't drink coffee either.

My closest friends who how crazy I am about breakfast and they understand that it is imperative that I am fed in the morning, even if we are traveling, on vacation, at a strangers house or in the middle of nowhere. I am going to visit my brother and his wife in North Carolina this week and I am already contemplating the breakfast situation. Should I go to the store and buy cereal, almond milk and blueberries  I doubt they will have that stocked in their house. I used to be shy about eating breakfast around people who don't and I would try to wait until both of us were hungry. Now I am older and wiser and realize breakfast makes me happy, so it must happen.

I don't stray too much from what I consume for my morning meal. It is usually Trader Joe's Multi-grain O's mixed with Strawberry O's or Puffins of some kind mixed with blueberries. However, every once in awhile on a day off I will treat myself to a heavy, indulgent breakfast, such as vegan and gluten free french toast I previously wrote about or, in this case, vegan blueberry pancakes. I am still trying to get the hang of the perfect pour for pancakes. The last time I made pancakes was on Christmas for my boyfriend and I. They were a messy, burned and way too thick. This pancake attempt went much better. I discovered this recipe on one of my favorite blogs, Sweatpants and Superfoods. I can not stand to let any of my produce go bad and I always buy too many bananas; it never fails. So, instead of making banana bread for the 500th time this year, these pancakes were a good alternative. In addition to what the recipe calls for I added some cinnamon, vanilla and blueberries. I indulged in one pancake with just butter, which was good, but of course it was definitely better with maple syrup. Save this recipe for a special morning, rainy Sunday or holiday brunch. It warms the heart and tummy!

Banana Pancakes

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes, depending on how many pancakes
Total Time: About 15-20 minutes

Ingredients:

2 bananas
2 cups soy milk (or other nondairy milk)
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder

::Optional::
Add vanilla extract, cinnamon or chocolate chips (or all of them) for additional flavors

Preparation:

1.Blend the banana in a blender or food processor until smooth. ::I did not use a blender. I mashed the bananas by hand. If your bananas are ripe this is very easy.::

2.Pour the banana into a mixing bowl and add the flour, soy milk and baking powder.

3. Mix together and make some short stacks!







No comments:

Post a Comment